Subscribe
Add to Technorati Favourites
Add to del.icio.us
Feb 23, 2009

MARTIN & POPS, TOGETHER AGAIN

Posted by Shee

By: Mario Bautista


MARTIN NIEVERA is always a delight to interview as he answers all questions thrown his way. Writers kidded him that Gary V imitated him last Sunday. He cried when he was interviewed about Pops Fernandez in their "Missing You" concert presscon. Gary also cried in "The Buzz" when Boy Abunda interviewed him. "He cried because he's defending his wife," says Martin. "I cried because of my ex-wife. That's even more painful." So who should win the best actor award? "It should be Gary because he doesn't cry, unlike me who's a softie and I cry all the time."

Is it true "Missing You" won't have a repeat? "Yes because it's difficult to recapture that magical moment of us performing together again after six years. The music part with us singing is okay, but the now vows, how can you repeat that? Also, when they planned the concert, they didn't reserve any other dates for a possible repeat or a provincial or U.S tour. Now, Pops is busy with her new projects with ABS."

It's rumored he was just forced to do the concert so Pops won't get mad at him again. "Not really naman forced. Siguro I'm just misinterpreted by some friends who asked me why did I even consider doing a concert produced by her current boyfriend (Jomari Yllana). But when Pops presented the concert to me, I was impressed with their plans. It's only after I agreed that she said: 'Okay lang ba if it's Jomari's company that's producing it?' So what would I say? Will I still back out?"

What if he'd been informed beforehand that Jom is producing it? "Then I'd have to ask them first what's their track record in producing concerts. But Pops already said, okay na, let's do it for Jom, and in fairness to him, he has very expensive ideas in doing the show, compared to other producers who'd say na hindi puede yan, walang budget. I must say they did make a good team ni Pops. At least, here's a producer with big ideas. But it's a learning experience for them. Imagine, they issued 600 backpasses so practically everyone can enter the backstage. Because of that, I heard Araneta Coliseum issued an order forbidding yung ganun karaming passes being issued."

How did he feel about the very warm reception of the crowd to them? "Pops and I were both so surprised. We thought it's risky to do it as people might no longer that be interested in us. But we're so happy the magic is still there."

Some people felt he put down Pops' outfits too much. "Well, I've been doing that to her for the past 26 years and even she knows it's not be taken seriously. And people keep laughing each time I make fun of her outfits because what I'm saying is actually what's on their mind."

Martin is 47 but he got the kick of his life when someone who heard him singing in the U.S. told him: "You should join 'American Idol'." He told the woman he's no longer qualified as he's overaged and he was told that he looks like he's only in his late 20s. "I took her to bed with me," he joked.

He has just released his 24th album with PolyEast Records, "For Always". "I've been with them for 16 years and now they just renewed my contract for four more years." PolyEast boss Ramon Chuaying said he's actually under contract with them for life.

"For Always" has 15 songs, with "Maybe This Time" by Michael Murphy as the first single. Two songs that blew us away were Bryan Adam's "Heaven", which was given a weird and very adventurous arrangement, and Michael Jansen's "I"ll Always Love You" which was given a grand and epic movie kind of treatment. Martin also has a new duet with Pops, "Reunited", by Peaches and herb. Other cuts are "Now and Forever", "All My Life", "Old Photographs", "All At Once", "Sometimes When We Touch", "After Cetera", "I Do It For You", "The Last Time" and "The Search is Over".

0 comments:

Post a Comment